Will read books!...encouraging our kids to read

"Reading to children, even before they can understand words, teaches them to associate books with love and affection".

I firmly believe in this quote. I chose to write about books and reading today because the UAE is promoting "book day" and encouraging parents to read to their children for at least ten minutes a day. Kids these days seem disinterested in reading and that is alarming. The benefits of reading to your children are countless. The earlier you begin, the better. With busy schedules and jobs its a nice way to bond with and encourage them to read.
I got Baby A his first book when he was three months old. I think most of my friends thought I was out of my mind. But I bought it anyway and read it to him everyday (sometimes more than once). It was a "Peppa Pig" book called "My Daddy". I know he loved the pictures and he made delightful baby sounds like he was enjoying it. So, I read and read and read - I kid you not but his first words at seven months were "dada" and "Peppa" (I have videos). At the moment, he loves chewing on his books. So we have moved to cloth and waterproof books for the time being. Hopefully he will give up his habit of eating books😂
Some of my favorite books with Baby A include:
1. The Three Billy Goats Gruff (oxbridge)
2. Goodnight Baby Lamb (Baby Einstein)
3. Nighty Night. The perfect bedtime sleep story also available as an app. This is one story I love listening to and is nice if you want your toddler to hear and learn the different animal sounds.
4. Where The Wild Things Are (Maurice Sendak
5.Peppa Pig's puppet books

Don't stop reading even if your baby doesn't seem interested. The best time to read is just before bedtime (or anytime you feel like you want to). I guarantee that you will feel so thrilled the day your child beings a book to you to read! It's worth a try!


Comments