10 Things I Learnt After Becoming a Mother



I've Learnt
To ignore the stares when my child screams (in the supermarket) or embarrasses me (with a wack on my face) because he's really just being...a child and this too shall pass.

I've learnt...
That everyday is 'figure it out' day and there's no explanation why a perfectly great day can spiral into an insane mess and then back to normal.

I've learnt...
That it's okay when people judge my parenting skills (because they've been there done that) and think I'm making the wrong choices for my child. They're entitled to their opinion after all.

I've learnt...
That somedays will be happy, funny, simply super days while most days will be spent in a battlefield of toys, food spills, pillows, (you name it) and I'm lucky if the day ends in a peaceful truce.

I've learnt...
That I am sometimes not a perfect mom but I always have my baby's well being in mind and strive to be my best everyday (even if I don't do things the way I'm supposed to).

I've learnt...
That its okay to be away from my baby sometimes (while he's with someone I know) and recharge my 'mommie self' so I can be a better, more patient mommy.

I've learnt...
That it's okay to sometimes want to cry especially when I haven't slept for hours and realise that my baby is teething so there will be no sleep for another (several weeks maybe?)

I've learnt...
That there will be a lot of tears (and sometimes drama), quite a few falls and several worries as my son gets older and more independent. That as long as I'm behind him (silently cheering), he has the world before him to explore.

I've learnt...
That there are days when I look at myself in the mirror and wonder who I'm staring at and quickly remember when I hear my baby call 'Mamma'.

I've learnt...
To use the time my baby sleeps to do exactly what I want to do. Even if it's nothing but sip tea and just catch up on everything I've managed to miss.

I've learnt to unlearn everything I thought was perfect parenting. To go with the flow and make everyday a 'memorable day'. 

Comments